Monday, August 01, 2005

 

Tripping The Boundary Layer

Tripping the boundary layer refers to the decrease in drag caused by surface roughness. As reported exclusively on this blog (as far as you know), the protruding gap fillers pose a potential risk to re-entry for Space Shuttle Discovery. Although other shuttles have safely returned despite protruding gap fillers, the concern is localized heating may cause tile damage. So they are going to try to fix it. This has never been tried before. It will involve an EVA which extends around the shuttle, out of sight, something that has also never been done before. And they plan to fix it, just by pulling it out.

EV1: OK, Houston, I finally managed to get out here and I am positioned directly over the protruding gap filler.

HOUSTON: Very good, EV1. Now, reach forward carefully, grip the tab between your fingers and pull it out.

EV1: Houston, are you kidding? You want me just to grab it and pull it?

HOUSTON: Yes, what's the big deal, why not, go ahead, try it.

EV1: Fine. I'll try it. Here goes. Well, I pulled on it and it wouldn't budge.

HOUSTON: What do you mean you pulled on it? Did you put some muscle behind it?

EV1: No, of course not, I don't want to damage the thermal protection --

HOUSTON: Come ON! What are you doing? Haul on it like you have a pair!

EV1: OK, I am pulling now with all my strength --

HOUSTON: Wuss! Sissy!

EV1: OK, I have chipped two footholds into the tile and I am pulling it with both hands! There! I got it!

[Loud comedy fart noise]

HOUSTON: [Burst of laughter, various voices] Ha, ha, ha -- he did it, he just pulled it out, I think he tripped the boundary layer! [Laughter continues.]



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?